The Ultimate Guide to Kayak Storage for Docks & Boats
Kayaking and Stand-Up Paddleboarding are great fun and great exercise, but properly storing your gear takes a bit of effort and know-how to maintain the longevity of your equipment. Whether you're interested in dock storage, boat storage, or both, Magma has everything you need to ensure your kayak or SUP remains in perfect condition.
Let’s talk about the do’s and don’ts of kayak storage and which Magma SUP/Kayak Storage Rack System suits you best.
Do’s and Don’ts of Kayak Storage
Clean and dry your gear before storing it on the boat to prevent mold and mildew from developing.
Rinse your gear with clean water and use a mild detergent if necessary. After cleaning, let it dry completely before storing it. If you store a wet kayak or paddleboard, mold and mildew can develop, which can damage your equipment.
Choose the storage option that best suits your needs.
When it comes to storing kayaks and paddleboards, there are plenty of options to choose from. If you've got a small dock with limited storage space, over the water racks could be the perfect choice for keeping your gear secure without taking up too much room. For larger docks, upright racks that stand alone on deck can work, too.
And if you're looking for an option specifically designed for use on boats, then consider investing in some boat-mounted racks. These mount onto boat railings and provide great security during transport.
Invest in high-quality storage equipment.
The better the quality of your storage equipment, the more secure your gear will be. Magma Products offers an impressive catalog of racks that are designed specifically for storing your equipment on a boat or on the dock. They provide maximum protection and accessibility, so you can enjoy your time on the water without worrying about your gear.
Consider the weight distribution of your kayak or paddleboard.
Proper weight distribution is crucial when storing kayaks and paddleboards on a boat. Make sure to distribute the weight of your equipment evenly on the boat to prevent any potential damage or instability during transport. If you have multiple kayaks or paddleboards, it’s best to distribute the weight equally between the sides of the boat to maintain balance.
- Don't store a wet kayak or paddleboard on the boat -- this is a one-way ticket to creating an environment where mold and mildew thrive.
- Don't store your kayak or SUP on the ground or in the water for extended periods. This may be a no-brainer, but it's crucial to choose storage equipment that is designed for kayaks and paddleboards and made for dock or boat storage. Extended storage on the ground or in water can cause damage to your equipment.
- Don't overload one side of the boat with too much weight, as this can cause it to become unstable in transit.
Magma’s Kayak & Paddleboard Storage Systems
Magma Products offers a variety of high-quality racks crafted with boat and dock storage in mind, ensuring the utmost protection, stability, and ease of access no matter the occasion. Here are a few kayak storage ideas for your next trip:
- Floor/Dock Basic Upright Rack System – This upright kayak dock rack is ideal for storing up to 4 Kayaks and 5 SUPs.
- Maximum storage capacity at your disposal
- Pre-installed UV-resistant polyethylene foam pads to ensure protection against scratches and damage
- Includes stainless Steel mounting/attachment fasteners for secure placement
- Over-the-water Basic Upright Rack System – This kayak/paddleboard rack for dock is ideal for smaller docks, ensuring you can keep all your water toys in one place while still having room for moving about on your dock.
- Ingenious design saves crucial dock space while providing quick access to aquatic gear
- Made with 100% 18-8 mirror polished, marine grade stainless steel
- Can withstand even the harshest marine environments
- Comes with pre-installed polyethylene foam pads with built-in UV protection
- Two-sided floor/dock Upright Rack System – If you’ve got quite a few kayaks or paddleboards in your arsenal and aren’t sure how to store them correctly, the two-sided floor/dock rack system might be the best option for you.
- Can hold up to 8 kayaks or more than 10 SUPs on docks and flat surfaces
- Constructed with high-quality stainless steel tubing with built-in foam pads
- Includes secure fasteners and tie-down loops for even safer storage
- Fish Rod Holder Mounted SUP/Kayak Rack – This storage option is designed to fit the most widely-used kayak and paddleboards, regardless of size.
- Adjustable and versatile design that can accommodate both kayaks and SUPs
- Made of durable materials to withstand the rigours of outdoor adventures
- Quick and easy installation, allowing you to hit the water in no time
- Removable Rail-mounted Kayak/SUP Rack – Combining convenience and accessibility, this removable rack is easy to install and requires no special tools.
- Utilises Magma’s patented LeveLock® mounting bracket and Pow'rGrip quick-release rod holder system
- Innovative rail-mounted design that allows for easy installation and removal without leaving any permanent fixtures on your boat
- Soft yet sturdy padded cradles protect your gear from scratches or damage during transport
- Adjustable arms to accommodate different sizes and shapes of kayaks or SUPs
Explore all Magma Products storage options
Don't let your kayak or stand-up paddleboard get damaged with improper storage. Enjoy your time on the water worry-free – explore all Magma Products storage options today!